Add to My Folder
Permanent link: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/43910
- Brightest cluster galaxy profile shapes
Graham, Alister W.;
Lauer, T. R.;
- We model the surface brightness profiles of an observed sample of 119 Abell Brightest Cluster Galaxies (BCG), finding a generalised deVaucouleurs r^1/n law, where n is a free parameter, to be appropriate. BCG typically have values of n greater than 4. The shape parameter n is shown to correlate with effective half-light radius, r_e, such that the larger BCG have larger values of n. This continues a trend noticed amongst ordinary elliptical galaxies and dwarf ellipticals, such that the brighter galaxies have larger values of n. Departures from the r^1/4 law are found to be a real feature of galaxy profiles, not due to observational errors or coupling of n with the other model parameters.
- Publication Type
- Conference paper
- Bulletin of the American Astronomical Society: Proceedings of the elliptical galaxies session at the 188th American Astronomical Society (AAS) Meeting, Madison, Wisconsin, United States, 09-13 June 1996, Vol. 28, no. 2 (1996), Session 11.02
- Publication Year
Brightest cluster galaxies;
Surface brightness profiles
- American Astronomical Society
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 1996 American Astronomical Society. All rights reserved. The American Astronomical Society does not allow institutions to archive either the accepted manuscript or the published version of the article.
- Peer Reviewed