Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles On broken structural and dynamical homology of elliptical galaxies: a Virgo-Fornax distance modulus
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/43912
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 309 KB)|
- On broken structural and dynamical homology of elliptical galaxies: a Virgo-Fornax distance modulus
- Graham, Alister W.
- This paper presents an extension to the work of D'Onofrio et al. (1997) on the Fundamental Plane (FP), in which a distance modulus between the Virgo and Fornax clusters was derived. In addressing the broken dynamical homology, implied by the broken structual homology (Caon, Capaccioli & D'Onofrio 1993; Graham et al. 1996), the resulting FP that is constructed is found to more closely resemble the plane predicted from the virial theorem. Using the FP as a distance estimator, the Virgo-Fornax distance modulus is reduced from +0.45±16 mag to +0.25±0.12 mag when the influence of broken dynamical homology is incorporated.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Memorie della Società Astronomica Italiana: Proceedings of 'Views on Distance Indicators', Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi, Massa Lubrense, Italy, 03-06 September 1997 / M. Arnaboldi, F. Caputo and A. Rifatto (eds.), Vol. 69, pp. 275-278
- Publication year
- Fornax cluster; FP; Fundamental Plane; Virgo galaxy
- Fabrizio Serra Editore
- 0037-8720 (series ISSN)
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © Società Astronomica Italiana (1998). Published version of the paper reproduced here with the kind permission of the publisher.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed