Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/43926
- The nuclei of nearby giant elliptical galaxies
- Seigar, Marc S.; Lynam, P. D.; Graham, Alister W.; Bodnarik, J. G.
- We have observed 26 giant elliptical galaxies in the near-infrared K-band with UFTI on UKIRT. These were observed in excellent seeing conditions (~0.3 arcsec) and one of the galaxies revealed a triple nucleus that had not been previously observed as such. Of the galaxies observed, 18 are coincident with the x-ray centers of their host clusters and 8 are not. We will present the results of investigations of their nuclear properties, such as their nuclear surface brightness profiles, the slope of the inner profile, and multiple nuclei.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Bulletin of the American Astronomical Society: Proceedings of the 203rd American Astronomical Society (AAS) Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia, United States, 05-08 January 2004, Vol. 35, Session 16.22
- Publication year
- Galaxies; Giant elliptical galaxies; K-band; Nuclear properties; Triple nucleus
- American Astronomical Society
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2004 American Astronomical Society. All rights reserved. The American Astronomical Society does not allow institutions to archive either the accepted manuscript or the published version of the article.
- Peer reviewed