Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/43929
- An analytical description of the extended halos of cD galaxies
- Seigar, Marc S.; Graham, Alister W.; Jerjen, Helmut
- We have observed 6 nearby cD galaxies to a depth of 26.5 R-mag/arcsec2 with the Jacobus Kapteyn Telescope (JKT) on La Palma. Surprisingly little is known about the structure of the extended, low surface brightness halos around such objects. We plan to determine the most appropriate analytical model to describe cD galaxy halos, whether this be an exponential profile, a Sersic model, or some other function. We additionally intend to measure the fraction of light contained within the halo, relative to the central galaxy. To date, this has typically been done by simply assigning to the halo, any and all excess flux relative to an inner r(1/4) model.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Bulletin of the American Astronomical Society: Proceedings of the ellipticals and early types session at the 205th American Astronomical Society (AAS) Meeting, San Diego, California, United States, 09-13 January 2005, Vol. 36, no. 5 (2004), Session 92.14
- Publication year
- cD; Galaxies; Halos; Jacobus Kapteyn Telescope; JKT; Sersic
- American Astronomical Society
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2004 American Astronomical Society. All rights reserved. The American Astronomical Society does not allow institutions to archive either the accepted manuscript or the published version of the article.
- Peer reviewed