Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Design of a medium access control protocol for a WDMA/TDMA photonic ring network
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/44062
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 528 KB)|
- Design of a medium access control protocol for a WDMA/TDMA photonic ring network
- Fransson, J.; Johansson, M.; Roughan, Matthew; Andrew, Lachlan L. H.; Summerfield, Mark A.
- We present a new medium access control protocol for a photonic ring network based on a combination of wavelength- and time-division multiple access. The protocol can achieve a maximum throughput in excess of 90%, though simulations of this protocol show that it has a practical limit of around 70% throughput. By comparison, the alternative proposed protocol, slotted ALOHA, has a maximum throughput of around 36%-almost half that of our protocol.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Proceedings of 'The bridge to global integration', the 1998 IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM 98), Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 08-12 November 1998, Vol. 1, pp. 307-312
- Publication year
- Access protocols; Maximum throughput; Medium access control protocol; Network topology; Optical fibre networks; Simulations; Slotted ALOHA; Time division multiple access; Wavelength division multiplexing; Wavelength-division multiple access; WDM; WDMA/TDMA photonic ring network
- 9780780349841, 0780349849
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 1998 IEEE. Paper reproduced here in accordance with the copyright policy of the publisher.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed