Home List of Titles A study on the effect of neighbourhood functions for noise robust vector quantisers
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/44327
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 354 KB)|
- A study on the effect of neighbourhood functions for noise robust vector quantisers
- Andrew, Lachlan L. H.; Palaniswami, Marimuthu
- By the use of noise robust compression, separate error correction can be reduced. This paper studies a number of neighbourhood functions for the SOFM for designing image vector quantiser codebooks for noisy channels. They include a neighbourhood recently proposed for the scalar coding of speech and a novel neighbourhood which makes the SOFM functionally equivalent to the popular LBG algorithm. The simulation results of these neighbourhood functions on two images provide insight into the problem of selecting an appropriate topology for the design of vector quantiser codebooks for noisy channels.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Proceedings of the 1994 IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence, Orlando, Florida, United States, 27 June-02 July 1994, Vol. 6, pp. 4159-4162
- Publication year
- Error correction; Error correction codes; Image coding; Image vector quantiser codebooks; LBG algorithm; Neighbourhood functions; Noise; Noise robust compression; Noise robust vector quantisers; Noisy channels; Scalar coding; Self-organising feature maps; SOFM; Speech; Vector quantisation
- 9780780319011, 078031901X
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 1994 IEEE. Paper reproduced in accordance with the copyright policy of the publisher.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed