Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/44317
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 439 KB)|
- Redundancy in quantisers for noisy channels
- Andrew, Lachlan L. H.
- This paper presents a study of the nature of optimal quantizer/dequantizer pairs for use with binary symmetric channels with moderate to high error rates. It is well known that some codewords of such quantizers are never output, because there is always another codeword with lower expected distortion. This paper investigates how high the bit error rate must be for this phenomenon to occur. It also investigates the nature of optimal quantizers for extremely noisy channels, in which the error probability is almost 1/2.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Proceedings of 'Speech and Image Technologies for Computing and Telecommunications', the 1997 IEEE Region 10 Annual International Conference (TENCON 1997), Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, 02-04 December 1997, Vol. 1, pp. 117-120
- Publication year
- Binary symmetric channels; Bit error rate; Communication channels; Data communication systems; Data compression; Dequantisers; Digital communication systems; Information theory; Optimal quantisers; Redundancy; Signal distortion; Signal filtering and prediction
- 9780780343658, 0780343654
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 1997 IEEE. Paper reproduced here in accordance with the copyright policy of the publisher.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed