Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Panax ginseng has no effect on indices of glucose regulation following acute or chronic ingestion in healthy volunteers
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/45580
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, -1 bytes)|
- Panax ginseng has no effect on indices of glucose regulation following acute or chronic ingestion in healthy volunteers
- Reay, Jonathon L.; Scholey, Andrew B.; Milne, Anthea; Fenwick, J.; Kennedy, David O.
- In the absence of effective pharmacotherapy for diabetes there has been an increase in the use of, and research into, alternative treatment strategies. These include exercise, dietary interventions and the use of supplements including extracts of ginseng. Two separate, placebo-controlled, double-blind, cross-over studies investigating the effects of chronic ingestion of Panax ginseng (study 1 used G115, study 2 used Cheong Kwan Jang) on glycated Hb (HbA1c; study 1, n 18; study 2, n 11), fasting plasma insulin (study 1, n 17; study 2, n 12), fasting plasma glucose and postprandial response (following breakfast) (study 1, n 23; study 2, n 14) in healthy volunteers are reported. In both studies it was found that Panax ginseng had no effect on any gluco-regulatory parameter investigated. These results are not consistent with those reported for a diabetic sample (albeit using slightly different outcomes). These results would suggest that chronic use of Panax ginseng by non-diabetic individuals will have little long-term effect on glucose regulation. The benefits to glucose regulation associated with long-term ginseng use may only be present in populations with compromised glucose control; however, further research is needed to confirm such a speculation.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Life and Social Sciences. Brain Sciences Institute
- British Journal of Nutrition, Vol. 101, no. 11 (Jun 2009), pp. 1673-1678
- Publication year
- Glucose response; Glycated Hb levels; Insulin; Panax ginseng
- Cambridge University Press
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © The Authors 2008. Published version of the paper reproduced here in accordance with the copyright policy of the publisher.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed