Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Salvia lavandulaefolia (Spanish Sage) enhances memory in healthy young volunteers
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/45534
- Salvia lavandulaefolia (Spanish Sage) enhances memory in healthy young volunteers
- Tildesley, N. T. J.; Kennedy, David O.; Perry, Elaine K.; Ballard, Clive G.; Savelev, S.; Wesnes, Keith A.; Scholey, A. B.
- Sage (Salvia) has a longstanding reputation in British herbal encyclopaedias as an agent that enhances memory, although there is little evidence regarding the efficacy of sage from systematized trials. Based on known pharmacokinetic and binding properties, it was hypothesised that acute administration of sage would enhance memory in young adult volunteers. Two experiments utilised a placebo-controlled, double-blind, balanced, crossover methodology. In Trial 1, 20 participants received 50, 100 and 150 μl of a standardised essential oil extract of Salvia lavandulaefolia and placebo. In Trial 2, 24 participants received 25 and 50 μl of a standardised essential oil extract of S. lavandulaefolia and placebo. Doses were separated by a 7-day washout period with treatment order determined by Latin squares. Assessment was undertaken using the Cognitive Drug Research computerised test battery prior to treatment and 1, 2.5, 4 and 6 h thereafter. The primary outcome measures were immediate and delayed word recall. The 50 μl dose of Salvia essential oil significantly improved immediate word recall in both studies. These results represent the first systematic evidence that Salvia is capable of acute modulation of cognition in healthy young adults.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, Vol. 75, no. 3 (Jun 2003), pp. 669-674
- Publication year
- Acetylcholinesterase; Acute effects; Cattle; Cholinergic; Cognition; Drug activity; Drug effect; Drug efficacy; Drug screening; Essential oil; Memory; Nootropic agents; Plant extract; Recall; Sage; Salvia; Salvia hispanica; Salvia lavandulaefolia; Salvia lavandulifolia; Treatment outcome; Verbal memory; Word recognition; Volatile oils
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2003 Elsevier Science Inc. All rights reserved.
- Peer reviewed