Home List of Titles Quality-driven business policy specification and refinement for service-oriented systems
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/45913
|Download PDF (Accepted manuscript) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 630 KB)|
- Quality-driven business policy specification and refinement for service-oriented systems
- Phan, Tan; Han, Jun; Schneider, Jean-Guy; Wilson, Kirk D.
- Enterprise software systems play an essential role in an organization's business operation. Many business rules and regulations governing an organization's operation can be translated into quality requirements of the relevant software systems, such as security, availability, and manageability. For systems implemented using Web Services, the specification and management of these qualities in the form of Web Service policies are often complicated and difficult to be aligned with the initial business requirements. In this paper, we introduce the Hope (High-Level Objective-based Policy for Enterprises) framework that supports, in a systematic manner, the specification of quality-oriented policies at the business level and their refinement into policies at the system/service level. Quality-oriented business requirements are expressed in Hope as quality objectives applied to business entities and further refined or translated into system-level WS-Policy statements. The refinement relies on an application-specific business entity model and application-independent domain quality models. We demonstrate the approach with a case study involving policy specification and refinement in the security domain.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Information and Communication Technologies
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Service-Oriented Computing, ICSOC 2008, Sydney, Australia, 01-05 December 2008 / Athman Bouguettaya, Ingolf Krueger, Tiziana Margaria (eds.), Vol. 5364, pp. 5-21
- Publication year
- Business operations; High Level Objective based Policy for Enterprises; Hope framework; Organisations; Policy; Software systems
- 0302-9743 (series ISSN)
- 9783540896470, 3540896473
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2008. The accepted manuscript of the paper is reproduced in accordance with the copyright policy of the publisher. The definitive version of the publication is available at www.springer.com.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed