Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/45944
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 917 KB)|
- Health monitoring of bonded composite repairs using fibre optic sensors
- Li, Henry C. H.; Dupouy, Olivier; Herszberg, Israel; Stoddart, Paul R.; Davis, Claire E.; Mouritz, Adrian P.
- Structural health monitoring (SHM) technology may be applied to composite bonded repairs to enable the continuous through-life assessment of the repair efficacy. This paper describes an SHM technique for the detection of debonding in composite bonded patches using fibre optic Bragg grating strain sensors. A two sided doubler repair is examined in this paper. A finite element study was conducted which showed that the strain in the debonded region changed significantly compared to the undamaged state. A differential strain approach was used to facilitate the detection of debonds, where two sensors were strategically positioned so that their strain differential increased with the disbond length. With the use of matching gratings, this technique greatly reduces the interrogation equipment requirement by converting spectral information into an intensity-modulated signal, thus allowing a threshold value to be set to indicate imminent critical repair failure. An experimental investigation was conducted, using carbon/epoxy patches to carbon/epoxy substrates, to validate the theoretically predicted results. The experimental measurements agreed well with the numerical findings, indicating that the proposed scheme has great potential as a simple monitoring technique for composite bonded repairs.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Engineering and Industrial Sciences. Centre for Atom Optics and Ultrafast Spectroscopy
- Proceedings of the Smart Structures and Materials 2006 Conference: Sensors and Smart Structures for Civil, Mechanical and Aerospace Systems, San Diego, CA, USA, 27 February 2006 / Masayoshi Tomizuka (ed.), Vol. 6174
- Publication year
- Bragg grating; Composite repair; Differential strain; Intensity modulation; Structural health monitoring
- SPIE: International Society for Optical Engineering
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2006 Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers. This paper was originally published in the Proceedings of SPIE (Vol. 6174), and is available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1117/12.658414. One print or electronic copy may be made for personal use only. Systematic electronic or print reproduction and distribution, duplication of any material in this paper for a fee or for commercial purposes, or modification of the content of the paper are prohibited.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed