Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/46415
|Download PDF (Author's final draft) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, -1 bytes)|
- Stability of plane Poiseuille-Couette flows of a piezo-viscous fluid
- Tran, Thien Duc; Suslov, Sergey A.
- We examine stability of fully developed isothermal unidirectional plane Poiseuille–Couette flows of an incompressible fluid whose viscosity depends linearly on the pressure as previously considered in Hron et al. [J. Hron, J. Málek, K.R. Rajagopal, Simple flows of fluids with pressure-dependent viscosities, Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A 457 (2001) 1603–1622] and Suslov and Tran [S.A. Suslov, T.D. Tran, Revisiting plane Couette–Poiseuille flows of a piezo-viscous fluid, J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech. 154 (2008) 170–178]. Stability results for a piezo-viscous fluid are compared with those for a Newtonian fluid with constant viscosity. We show that piezo-viscous effects generally lead to stabilisation of a primary flow when the applied pressure gradient is increased. We also show that the flow becomes less stable as the pressure and therefore the fluid viscosity decrease downstream. These features drastically distinguish flows of a piezo-viscous fluid from those of its constant-viscosity counterpart. At the same time the increase in the boundary velocity results in a flow stabilisation which is similar to that observed in Newtonian fluids with constant viscosity.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology
- Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 156, no. 3 (Feb 2009), pp. 139-149
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0203 Classical Physics
- Hydrodynamic stability; Piezo-viscous fluid; Plane Poiseuille-Couette flow; Pressure-dependent viscosity
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © Elsevier B.V. The author's final draft is reproduced in accordance with the copyright policy of the publisher.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed