Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Nonlinear dynamics of charged particles interacting with combined ac-dc electromagnetic fields
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/46420
- Nonlinear dynamics of charged particles interacting with combined ac-dc electromagnetic fields
- Thompson, Colin J.; Briggs, Keith M.; Farrell, Peter; Fleming, Anthony H. J.; Hocking, Bruce; Joyner, Kenneth H.; Anderson, Vitas; Wood, Andrew W.
- A nonlinear Lorenz model describing interactions between charged particles and combined ac-dc electromagnetic fields is studied for various combinations of frequencies, field strengths and relative angle (θ) between the ac and dc magnetic fields. Strong directional effects on the magnitude and location of resonant particle motion are observed when θ is varied and the regular resonance windows in the aligned field (θ = 0) and linear version of the model studied previously by Durney etaal., break up to form irregular and less well pronounced regions of large and small particle displacements when nonlinearities are taken into account. The length of time takne to achieve resonant behaviour also becomes larger and more variable when nonlinearities are present. The possible relevance of these effects to interactions between electromagnetic fields and biological media is briefly discussed.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Physics Department
- Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Vol. 220, no. 3-4 (Nov 1995), pp. 471-484
- Publication year
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 1995 Elsevier Science B.V. All rights reserved.
- Peer reviewed