Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles The 'Shadows of the colonial period' to 'Times of sharing': history writing in and about New Calidonia/Kanaky, 1969-1998
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/46575
- The 'Shadows of the colonial period' to 'Times of sharing': history writing in and about New Calidonia/Kanaky, 1969-1998
- Veracini, Lorenzo
- This article presents a paper which provides a selective overview of history writing in and about the French Overseas Territory of New Caledonia. The tensions experienced by New Caledonia since the late 1960's, and particularly during the 1980's between the pro-independence Kanak movement and large sections of the Caldoche community may have significantly decreased during the 1990's, but the present problems faced by New Caledonia have been postponed rather than solved. This paper also proposes a thematic commentary on New Caledonia's historiography.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Journal of Pacific History, Vol. 38, no. 3 (2003), pp. 331-352
- Publication year
- History; Kanaka; New Caledonia; New Caledonian people; Pacific Islanders; Social conditions
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2003 The Journal of Pacific History Inc.
- Peer reviewed