Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/49033
- Distance learning concepts and technologies
- Chiong, Raymond
- The rapid growth of information technology has opened up the possibilities of corporate learning and a completely new dimension to the progress in education and training. Educational and training programs that were once delivered only through a face-to-face setting can now be done electronically due to the advancement of technologies. As a result, the advent of distance learning has enabled not just flexible learning which is independent of time and space, but also significantly reduced the cost in acquiring necessary educational or professional training. Distance learning through virtual classroom is thus being considered by many to be the next revolution in the marketplace, with an estimated potential growth of $23.7 billion worldwide in 2006, according to a study conducted by the International Data Corporation (Downes, 2003). This article aims to provide an overview of the concepts and technologies of distance learning, and discuss the critical factors that determine the successful implementation of a distance learning system.
- Publication type
- Reference entry
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Sarawak Campus
- Encyclopedia of multimedia technology and networking / Margherita Pagani (ed.), pp. 417-422
- Publication year
- Cost; Distance learning; Education; Flexible learning; ICTs; Information and communication technologies; Learning management; New technologies; Training; Virtual learning
- Idea Group
- 9781605660141, 1605660140
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2009, IGI Global.
- Peer reviewed