Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles The Pocket PC as an information management tool for academics in Australia: an exploratory study
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/49309
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 166 KB)|
- The Pocket PC as an information management tool for academics in Australia: an exploratory study
- Chow, Geoffrey; Ho, Henry Wai Leong; Ling, Peter N.
- The increasing use of portable computers and mobile computing and telecommunication devices means a re-think of how we access and retrieve information. Like many workers in knowledge-rich professions, university academics in Australia are increasingly overloaded with information in the form of messages, notes, papers, publications, books and so on. They have to handle, process, store, and make decisions on the information received on a daily basis. Conversely, university academics are also expected, at times under pressure, to produce more of this type of information, which in turn, increases the pressure on their peers in academic circles to handle an increasing amount of information. The technological development that fosters the information explosion also produces new means of coping with it. This research investigated the potential of the Pocket PC to assist academics in meeting the increasing informational demands placed upon them.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Higher Education, Lilydale
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Swinburne Professional Learning
- The College Quarterly, Vol. 11, no. 3 (Summer 2008)
- Publication year
- Academics; Access to information; Australia; Colleges; Communication; Data processing; Educational technology; Handheld computers; Higher education; ICTs; Information and communication technologies; Information management; Mobile devices; Mobile technologies; Pocket computers; Pocket PCs; Time management; Universities
- Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2008 The College Quarterly, Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology. This article appeared first as: Chow, G., Ho, H. W-L., & Ling, P. N. (2008). 'The Pocket PC as an information management tool for academics in Australia: an exploratory study'. In The College Quarterly, 11 (3). The published version of the paper is reproduced here with the kind permission of the publisher.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed