Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/50001
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 53 KB)|
- Exact quantum phase model for mesoscopic Josephson junctions
- Anglin, J. R.; Drummond, P. D.; Smerzi, A.
- Starting from the two-mode Bose-Hubbard model, we derive an exact version of the standard Mathieu equation governing the wave function of a Josephson junction. For a finite number of particles N, we find an additional cos 2φ term in the potential. We also find that the inner product in this representation is nonlocal in φ. Our model exhibits phenomena, such as π oscillations, which are not found in the standard phase model, but have been predicted from Gross-Pitaevskii mean-field theory.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Physical Review A, Vol. 64, no. 6 (2001), article no. 063605
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0202 Atomic, Molecular, Nuclear, Particle and Plasma Physics; 0204 Condensed Matter Physics; 0205 Optical Physics
- Approximation theory; Bose-Hubbard model; Elementary particles; Gross-Pitaevskii mean field theory; Hamiltonians; Josephson junction devices; Mathematical models; Mathieu equation; Mesoscopic Josephson junctions; Oscillations; Quantum theory
- American Physical Society
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2001 The American Physical Society. Published version of this paper reproduced here in accordance with the copyright policy of the publisher.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed