Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Finite-temperature correlations and density profiles of an inhomogeneous interacting one-dimensional Bose gas
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/50026
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 220 KB)|
- Finite-temperature correlations and density profiles of an inhomogeneous interacting one-dimensional Bose gas
- Kheruntsyan, K. V.; Gangardt, D. M.; Drummond, P. D.; Shlyapnikov, G. V.
- We calculate the density profiles and density correlation functions of the one-dimensional Bose gas in a harmonic trap, using the exact finite-temperature solutions for the uniform case, and applying a local density approximation. The results are valid for a trapping potential that is slowly varying relative to a correlation length. They allow a direct experimental test of the transition from the weak-coupling Gross-Pitaevskii regime to the strong-coupling, "fermionic" Tonks-Girardeau regime. We also calculate the average two-particle correlation which characterizes the bulk properties of the sample, and find that it can be well approximated by the value of the local pair correlation in the trap center.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Physical Review A, Vol. 71, no. 5 (2005), article no. 053615
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0202 Atomic, Molecular, Nuclear, Particle and Plasma Physics; 0204 Condensed Matter Physics; 0205 Optical Physics
- Approximation theory; Correlation methods; Density correlation functions; Gases; Harmonic generation; Harmonic trap; Temperature control
- American Physical Society
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2005 The American Physical Society. Published version of this paper reproduced here in accordance with the copyright policy of the publisher.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed