Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Three-dimensional solitons in coupled atomic-molecular Bose-Einstein condensates
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/50058
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, -1 bytes)|
- Three-dimensional solitons in coupled atomic-molecular Bose-Einstein condensates
- Vaughan, Timothy G.; Kheruntsyan, K. V.; Drummond, P. D.
- We present a theoretical analysis of three-dimensional (3D) matter-wave solitons and their stability properties in coupled atomic and molecular Bose-Einstein condensates (BECs). The soliton solutions to the mean-field equations are obtained in an approximate analytical form by means of a variational approach. We investigate soliton stability within the parameter space described by the atom-molecule conversion coupling, the atom-atom s-wave scattering, and the bare formation energy of the molecular species. In terms of ordinary optics, this is analogous to the process of sub- or second-harmonic generation in a quadratic nonlinear medium modified by a cubic nonlinearity, together with a phase mismatch term between the fields. While the possibility of formation of multidimensional spatiotemporal solitons in pure quadratic media has been theoretically demonstrated previously, here we extend this prediction to matter-wave interactions in BEC systems where higher-order nonlinear processes due to interparticle collisions are unavoidable and may not be neglected. The stability of the solitons predicted for repulsive atom-atom interactions is investigated by direct numerical simulations of the equations of motion in a full 3D lattice. Our analysis also leads to a possible technique for demonstrating the ground state of the Schrodinger-Newton and related equations that describe Bose-Einstein condensates with nonlocal interparticle forces.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Physical Review A, Vol. 70, no. 6 (2004), article no. 063611
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0202 Atomic, Molecular, Nuclear, Particle and Plasma Physics; 0204 Condensed Matter Physics; 0205 Optical Physics
- BEC; Bose-Einstein condensates
- American Physical Society
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2004 The American Physical Society. Published version of this paper reproduced here in accordance with the copyright policy of the publisher.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed