Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Finite-temperature phase diagram of a spin-polarized ultracold Fermi gas in a highly elongated harmonic trap
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/50038
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 585 KB)|
- Finite-temperature phase diagram of a spin-polarized ultracold Fermi gas in a highly elongated harmonic trap
- Liu, Xia-Ji; Hu, Hui; Drummond, P. D.
- We investigate the finite-temperature properties of an ultracold atomic Fermi gas with spin population imbalance in a highly elongated harmonic trap. Previous studies at zero temperature showed that the gas stays in an exotic spatially inhomogeneous Fulde-Ferrell-Larkin-Ovchinnikov (FFLO) superfluid state at the trap center; while moving to the edge, the system changes into either a nonpolarized Bardeen-Cooper-Schrieffer superfluid (P< Pc) or a fully polarized normal gas (P> Pc), depending on the smallness of the spin polarization P, relative to a critical value Pc. In this work, we show how these two phase-separation phases evolve with increasing temperature, and thereby construct a finite-temperature phase diagram. For typical interactions, we find that the exotic FFLO phase survives below one-tenth of Fermi degeneracy temperature, which seems to be accessible in the current experiment. The density profile, equation of state, and specific heat of the polarized system have been calculated and discussed in detail. Our results are useful for the ongoing experiment at Rice University on the search for FFLO states in quasi-one-dimensional polarized Fermi gases.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Physical Review A, Vol. 78, no. 2 (2008), article no. 023601
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0202 Atomic, Molecular, Nuclear, Particle and Plasma Physics; 0204 Condensed Matter Physics; 0205 Optical Physics
- Atomic Fermi gases; Bardeen-Cooper-Schrieffer superfluid; Critical values; Degeneracy temperature; Density profiles; Electron gas; Equation of state; Equations of state; Experiments; Fermi gases; Fermions; FFLO states; Finite temperatures; Fulde-Ferrell; Fully polarized; Gases; Harmonic trapping; Ketones; Larkin-Ovchinnikov; Normal gas; Phase diagrams; Phase separation; Quasi-one dimensional; Separation; Spatially inhomogeneous; Spin dynamics; Spin polarisations; Spin population; Superfluid helium; Superfluid states; Trap centers; Two phase; Zero temperatures
- American Physical Society
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2008 The American Physical Society. Published version of this paper reproduced here in accordance with the copyright policy of the publisher.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed