Home List of Titles Dual symmetric Lagrangians in quantum electrodynamics I: conservation laws and multipolar coupling
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/50043
- Dual symmetric Lagrangians in quantum electrodynamics I: conservation laws and multipolar coupling
- Drummond, P. D.
- By using a complex field with a symmetric combination of electric and magnetic fields, a first-order covariant Lagrangian for Maxwell's equations is obtained, similar to the Lagrangian for the Dirac equation. This leads to a dual-symmetric quantum electrodynamic theory with an infinite set of local conservation laws. The dual symmetry is shown to correspond to a helical phase, conjugate to the conserved helicity. There is also a scaling symmetry, conjugate to the conserved entanglement. The results include a novel form of the photonic wavefunction, with a well-defined helicity number operator conjugate to the chiral phase, related to the fundamental dual symmetry. Interactions with charged particles can also be included. Transformations from minimal coupling to multi-polar or more general forms of coupling are particularly straightforward using this technique. The dual-symmetric version of quantum electrodynamics derived here has potential applications to nonlinear quantum optics and cavity quantum electrodynamics.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Journal of Physics B: Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics, Vol. 39, no. 15 (2006), pp. S573-S598
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0202 Atomic, Molecular, Nuclear, Particle and Plasma Physics
- Charged particles; Electric field effects; Electrodynamics; Magnetic field effects; Mathematical transformations; Maxwell equations; Nonlinear optics; Conservation laws; Dual-symmetric Lagrangians; Quantum electrodynamics; Scaling symmetries; Quantum optics
- Institute of Physics Publishing
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2006 IOP Publishing.
- Peer reviewed