Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/50025
- Gaussian operator bases for correlated fermions
- Corney, J. F.; Drummond, P. D.
- We formulate a general multi-mode Gaussian operator basis for fermions, to enable a positive phase-space representation of correlated Fermi states. The Gaussian basis extends existing bosonic phase-space methods to Fermi systems and thus allows first-principles dynamical or equilibrium calculations in quantum many-body Fermi systems. We prove the completeness of the basis and derive differential forms for products with one- and two-body operators. Because the basis satisfies fermionic superselection rules, the resulting phase space involves only c-numbers, without requiring anticommuting Grassmann variables. Furthermore, because of the overcompleteness of the basis, the phase-space distribution can always be chosen positive. This has important consequences for the sign problem in fermion physics.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and General, Vol. 39, no. 2 (2006), pp. 269-297
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0206 Quantum Physics
- Institute of Physics Publishing
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2006 IOP Publishing.
- Peer reviewed