Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/51149
- Enhanced thick thermal barrier coatings that exhibit varying porosity
- Scrivani, Andrea; Rizzi, Gabriele; Berndt, C. C.
- Thick thermal barrier coatings (TBCs) are defined within the currentwork as coatings that range from 1.5 to 2mmin thickness. The microstructure and the porosity of the yttria partially stabilized zirconia (YPSZ) coating are controlled with respect to its resistance to thermal cycling fatigue (TCF). TBCs have been produced by means of a MCrAlY bond coat and YPSZ top coat, both sprayed by air plasma spray. Plasma spray experiments have been performed to obtain an appropriate coating microstructure. Ceramic coatings have been prepared at four levels of plasma jet energy to obtain different levels of porosity, with the aim of keeping the general ceramic coating microstructure constant. An analysis has been performed to develop a relationship between the surface roughness and internal porosity. Phase content in “as-coated” YPSZ coatings has been investigated by XRD and compared with the as-received powder to investigate the influence of the plasma spray process on the phase content of the coating. The samples have been submitted to TCF tests, according to the procedure of two OEMs. Post mortem analyses via XRD of the thermally cycled samples have been compared with the as-received samples. This study has enabled the determination of an appropriate TBC microstructure that demonstrates high TCF resistance, independent of the coating porosity. The deposition process is robust and the properties of the coating exhibit low sensitivity to slight changes in spray parametersthat may occur within a high-volume production environment; thereby ensuring reliable performance of TBC’s during their service life.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology
- Materials Science and Engineering A, no. 476 (Mar. 2008), pp. 1-7
- Publication year
- Cyclic thermal tests; Microstructural design; Thermal barrier coating; YPSZ
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2007 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
- Additional information
- Christopher C. Berndt is incorrectly named on the paper as 'Christoper C. Berndt'. This error has been corrected in this record to facilitate ease of its discovery.
- Peer reviewed