Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles A spectroscopic measure of the star formation rate density in dwarf galaxies at z similar to 1
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/52872
|Download PDF (Author's final draft) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 175 KB)|
- A spectroscopic measure of the star formation rate density in dwarf galaxies at z similar to 1
- Davies, G. T.; Gilbank, David; Glazebrook, K.; Bower, Richard G.; Baldry, I. K.; Balogh, Michael L.; Hau, G. K. T.; Li, I. H.; McCarthy, Patrick J.; Savaglio, S.
- We use a K-selected (22.5 < K-AB < 24.0) sample of dwarf galaxies (8.4 < log(M-*/M-circle dot) < 10) at 0.89 < z < 1.15 in the Chandra Deep Field-South to measure their contribution to the global star formation rate density (SFRD), as inferred from their [O II] flux. By comparing with [O II]-based studies of higher stellar mass galaxies, we robustly measure a turnover in the [O II] luminosity density at a stellar mass of M similar to 10(10) M-circle dot. By comparison with the [O II]-based SFRD measured from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey we confirm that, while the SFRD of the lowest mass galaxies changes very little with time, the SFRD of more massive galaxies evolves strongly, such that they dominate the SFRD at z = 1.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Information and Communication Technologies. Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing
- Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society: Letters, Vol. 395, no. 1 (May 2009), pp. L76-L80
- Publication year
- Dwarf galaxies; Evolution; Formation history; Galaxies; H-alpha; Luminosity function; Metallicity; O-II; Redshift survey; Stellar mass
- Wiley-Blackwell Publishing
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation copyright © 2009 RAS.
- Research Projects
- Full text
- Peer reviewed