Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/54059
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, -1 bytes)|
- Virial expansion for a strongly correlated Fermi gas
- Liu, Xia-Ji; Hu, Hui; Drummond, P. D.
- Using a high temperature virial expansion, we present a controllable study of the thermodynamics of strongly correlated Fermi gases near the BEC-BCS crossover region. We propose a practical way to determine the expansion coefficients for both harmonically trapped and homogeneous cases, and calculate the third order coefficient b3(T) at finite temperatures T. At resonance, a T-independent coefficient b hom/3000 ≈ -0.290 952 95 is determined in free space. These results are compared with a recent thermodynamic measurement of 6Li atoms, at temperatures below the degeneracy temperature, and with Monte Carlo simulations.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Engineering and Industrial Sciences. Centre for Atom Optics and Ultrafast Spectroscopy. ARC Centre of Excellence for Quantum-Atom Optics
- Physical Review Letters, Vol. 102, no. 16 (Apr 2009), p. 4
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 02 Physical Sciences
- Atoms; Fermi gases; Harmonic trap
- American Physical Society
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2009 The American Physical Society. Published version of the paper reproduced here with the kind permission of the publisher for non-commercial purposes only.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed