Home List of Titles Pert, pretty and smart: Prue Acton; a case study in brand marketing as an entrepreneurial strategy in the Australian Fashion and Textiles Retail Industry
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/54352
- Pert, pretty and smart: Prue Acton; a case study in brand marketing as an entrepreneurial strategy in the Australian Fashion and Textiles Retail Industry
- Whitehouse, Denise
- Fashion and business entrepreneur Prue Acton established her signature label in the 1960s. She was one of the new wave of designers who, appropriating the rhetoric of designer fashion and boutique culture from high fashion and haute couture, led the democratisation of fashion and laid the foundations for today's fashion industry. This case study focuses on the early years of Prue Acton's career from 1964-1972 when she established herself as Australia's leading celebrity designer, in the process converting her young girl's dress label into a leading national and international brand enterprise with an annual turnover of around $6 million.
- Publication type
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. National Institute of Design
- Cyberfibres online register of Australian fashion and textile design
- Publication year
- 1960s fashion; 20th century history; Acton, Prue, OBE (1943-); Australia; Case studies; Fashion; Design
- Frances Burke Textile Resource Centre, RMIT University
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2004 RMIT University.
- Additional information
- This case study was made possible through a 2002/03 research grant from RMIT Centre of Excellence in Entrepreneurship which enabled research into the Prue Acton archives housed at the Frances Burke Textile Resource Centre, School of Architecture and Design. The project research team included Kaye Ashton and Dr Juliette Peers from the Frances Burke Textile Resource Centre, School of Architecture and Design, RMIT, and Dr Denise Whitehouse and Nanette Carter from the National Institute of Design at Swinburne University of Technology.