Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Effect of online discussion forums to improve mathematics problem solving and critical thinking: a comparative study
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/54404
- Effect of online discussion forums to improve mathematics problem solving and critical thinking: a comparative study
- Jacob, Seibu Mary; Sam, Hong Kian
- Online discussion forums could be used to extend classroom learning of mathematics. Two problem solving sessions were held using discussion forums of the Blackboard Learning System for a mathematics course, with the purpose of encouraging critical thinking. An adapted model to analyze critical thinking in the forum postings showed little progression in critical thinking from the first to the second session. But quantitative analysis performed on the final exam scores of the treatment group (n=45) of discussion forum participants and a control group (n=45), after controlling for differences in mathematical ability, showed the difference in scores between the two groups was significant.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Innovations in Information Technology (Innovations '08), Al Ain, United Arab Emirates, 16-18 December 2008, pp. 366-370
- Publication year
- Blackboard Learning System; Computer aided instruction; Critical thinking; Educational courses; Internet; Mathematics; Online discussion forums
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2008 IEEE.
- Peer reviewed