Home List of Titles Battle of Stiklestad: supporting virtual heritage with 3D collaborative virtual environments and mobile devices in educational settings
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/54875
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 555 KB)|
- Battle of Stiklestad: supporting virtual heritage with 3D collaborative virtual environments and mobile devices in educational settings
- Prasolova-Forland, Ekaterina; Wyeld, Theodor G.; Divitini, Monica; Lindas, Anders
- 3D collaborative virtual environments (CVEs) have been widely used for preservation of cultural heritage, also in an educational context. This paper presents a project where 3D CVE is augmented with mobile devices in order to support a collaborative educational exploration of a famous historical site in Norway, where Battle of Stiklestad took place in 1030. This system can be used by both local and distant learning communities, working together towards a common goal. The paper presents a background for the project and a set of requirements for an augmented system, describes the corresponding design and outlines the technical implementation of a hybrid prototype.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Proceedings of Mobile and Ubiquitous Technologies for Learning (UBICOMM 07), Papeete, Tahiti, 04-09 November 2007, pp. 197-203
- Publication year
- 3D; Collaborative virtual environments; Cultural heritage; Educational technologies; Mobile devices; Virtual classroom; Virtual learning environments; VLEs
- 9780769529936, 0769529933
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2007 IEEE. Published version of the paper reproduced here in accordance with the copyright policy of the publisher. Personal use of this material is permitted. However, permission to reprint/republish this material for advertising or promotional purposes or for creating new collective works for resale or redistribution to servers or lists, or to reuse any copyrighted component of this work in other works must be obtained from the IEEE.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed