Home List of Titles Radio frequency interference identification and mitigation using simultaneous dual-station observations
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/55538
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 1 MB)|
- Radio frequency interference identification and mitigation using simultaneous dual-station observations
- Bhat, N. D. R.; Cordes, J. M.; Chatterjee, S.; Lazio, T. J. W.
- Radio frequency interference (RFI) mitigation is a critically important issue in radio astronomy using existing instruments as well as in the development of next generation radio telescopes, such as the Square Kilometer Array (SKA). Most designs for the SKA involve multiple stations with spacings of up to a few thousands of kilometers and thus can exploit the drastically different RFI environments at different stations. As demonstrator observations and analysis for SKA-like instruments, and to develop RFI mitigation schemes that will be useful in the near term, we recently conducted simultaneous observations with Arecibo Observatory and the Green Bank Telescope. The observations were aimed at diagnosing RFI and using the mostly uncorrelated RFI between the two sites to excise RFI from several generic kinds of measurements such as giant pulses from Crab-like pulsars and weak H I emission from galaxies in bands heavily contaminated by RFI. This paper presents observations, analysis, and RFI identification and excision procedures that are effective for both time series and spectroscopy applications using multistation data.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Radio Science, Vol. 40, no. 5 (Jun 2005), pp. 1-11
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0201 Astronomical and Space Sciences; 0401 Atmospheric Sciences
- Arrays; Correlation methods; Electromagnetic noise and interference; Galaxies; GBT; Green Bank Telescope; Interference suppression; Interferometry; Radio astronomy; Radio frequency interference; Radio instruments and techniques; Radio interference; Radio stations; Radio telescopes; RFI identification; Signal processing; SKA; Square Kilometre Array
- American Geophysical Union
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2005 by the American Geophysical Union. Published version of this paper reproduced here in accordance with the copyright policy of the publisher.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed