Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles H I 21 cm observations of the PG 1216+069 sub-damped Lyα absorber field at z = 0.00632
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/55666
- H I 21 cm observations of the PG 1216+069 sub-damped Lyα absorber field at z = 0.00632
- Briggs, F. H.; Barnes, D. G.
- The Westerbork Synthesis Radio Telescope finds a weak 21 cm line emission feature at the coordinates (R.A., decl., velocity) of the sub-damped Lyα (DLA) absorber observed at zabs = 0.00632 in the spectrum of PG 1216+069. The emission feature, WSRT J121921+0639, lies within 30″ of the quasar sight line, is detected at a 99.8% (3 σ) confidence level, has MH I between 5 and 15 × 106 M⊙, and has a velocity spread between 20 and 60 km s-1. Other H I emitters in the field include VCC 297 at a projected distance of 86 h75-1 kpc and a previously unreported H I cloud, WSRT J121919+0624, at 112 h75-1 kpc with MH I ∼ 3 × 10 8 M⊙. The optically identified foreground galaxy that is closest to the quasar sight line appears to be VCC 339 (∼L*/25) at 29 h75-1 kpc with a velocity offset of 292 km s -1. A low surface brightness galaxy with the H I mass of the sub-DLA absorber WSRT J121921+0639 would likely have mB ∼ 17, and its diffuse optical emission would need to compete with the light of both the background QSO and a brighter foreground star ∼10″ from the QSO sight line.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Astrophysical Journal, Vol. 640, no. 2 II (Apr 2006), pp. L127-L130
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0201 Astronomical and Space Sciences
- Absorption lines; Cosmological observations; Galaxy formation; Intergalactic medium; PG 1216+069; Quasars; Radio lines; VCC 297; VCC 327; VCC 339; Westerbork Synthesis Radio Telescope
- University of Chicago Press
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2006. The American Astronomical Society. All rights reserved.
- Peer reviewed