Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/55693
- H alpha regions in FCC046 and FCC207
- Michielsen, Dolf; De Rijcke, Sven; Dejonghe, Herwig B.; Zeilinger, Werner W.; Hau, G. K. T.
- We present deep Hα+[NII] narrowband imaging of FCC046 and FCC207, two dwarf ellipticals (dEs) in the Fornax Cluster. Although one does not expect much of an interstellar medium (ISM) to be present in dEs, FCC207 shows a central emission region, whereas FCC046 also contains fainter emission regions. The central emission can be explained as photo-ionization by post-AGB stars. Some of the emission clouds in FCC046 are resolved and have diameters of the order of 50-150 pc and Hα luminosities of 1030 W, comparable to supernova remnants (SNRs), pointing to recent star formation. Dwarfs like FCC046 could be the evolutionary link between normal, quiescent dEs and more vigorously starforming blue compact dwarfs (BCDs).
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Astrophysics and Space Science, Vol. 284, no. 2 (Apr 2003), pp. 635-638
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0201 Astronomical and Space Sciences
- Dwarf galaxies; FCC046; FCC207; ISM supernova remnants
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2003 Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Peer reviewed