Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles The Millennium Galaxy Catalogue: 16 less than or equal to BMGC less than 24 galaxy counts and the calibration of the local galaxy luminosity function
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/55714
|Download PDF (Accepted manuscript) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, -1 bytes)|
- The Millennium Galaxy Catalogue: 16 less than or equal to BMGC less than 24 galaxy counts and the calibration of the local galaxy luminosity function
- Liske, Jochen; Lemon, D. J.; Driver, Simon P.; Cross, Nicholas J. G.; Couch, W. J.
- The Millennium Galaxy Catalogue (MGC) is a 37.5 deg2, medium-deep, B-band imaging survey along the celestial equator, taken with the Wide Field Camera on the Isaac Newton Telescope. The survey region is contained within the regions of both the Two Degree Field Galaxy Redshift Survey (2dFGRS) and the Sloan Digital Sky Survey Early Data Release (SDSS-EDR). The survey has a uniform isophotal detection limit of 26 mag arcsec-2 and it provides a robust, well-defined catalogue of stars and galaxies in the range 16 ≤ BMGC < 24 mag. Here we describe the survey strategy, the photometric and astrometric calibration, source detection and analysis, and present the galaxy number counts that connect the bright and faint galaxy populations within a single survey. We argue that these counts represent the state of the art and use them to constrain the normalizations (φ*) of a number of recent estimates of the local galaxy luminosity function. We find that the 2dFGRS, SDSS Commissioning Data (CD), ESO Slice Project, Century Survey, Durham/UKST, Mt Stromlo/APM, SSRS2 and NOG luminosity functions require a revision of their published φ* values by factors of 1.05 ± 0.05, 0.76 ± 0.10, 1.02 ± 0.22, 1.02 ± 0.16, 1.16 ± 0.28, 1.75 ± 0.37, 1.40 ± 0.26 and 1.01 ± 0.39, respectively. After renormalizing the galaxy luminosity functions we find a mean local h luminosity density jbJ̄ = (1.986 ± 0.031) × 108 h L⊙ Mpc-3 1.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, Vol. 344, no. 1 (Sep 2003), pp. 307-324
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0201 Astronomical and Space Sciences
- Catalogues; Cosmology; Galaxies; Luminosity function; Mass function galaxies; Observations
- Wiley-Blackwell Publishing
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2003 the authors. Journal compilation copyright © 2003 Royal Astronomical Society. The accepted manuscript of the paper is reproduced here in accordance with the copyright policy of the publisher. The definitive publication is available at www.interscience.wiley.com.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed