Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/55927
- The double pulsar system J0737-3039: modulation of A by B at eclipse
- McLaughlin, M. A.; Lyne, A. G.; Lorimer, D. R.; Possenti, A.; Manchester, R. N.; Camilo, F.; Stairs, I. H.; Kramer, M.; Burgay, M.; D'Amico, N.; Freire, P. C. C.; Joshi, B. C.; Bhat, N. D. R.
- We have investigated the eclipse of the 23 ms pulsar, PSR J0737-3039A, by its 2.8 s companion PSR J0737-3039B in the recently discovered double pulsar system using data taken with the Green Bank Telescope at 820 MHz. We find that the pulsed flux density at eclipse is strongly modulated with the periodicity of the 2.8 s pulsar. The eclipse occurs earlier and is deeper at those rotational phases of B when its magnetic axis is aligned with the line of sight than at phases when its magnetic axis is at right angles to the line of sight. This is consistent with the eclipse of A being due to synchrotron absorption by the shock-heated plasma surrounding B, the asymmetry arising from the higher plasma densities expected in the B magnetosphere's polar cusps.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Astrophysical Journal, Vol. 616, no. (Dec 2004), pp. L131-L134
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0201 Astronomical and Space Sciences
- Binaries; Green Bank Telescope; PSR J0737-3039A; PSR J0737-3039B; Pulsars
- University of Chicago Press
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2004 The American Astronomical Society. All rights reserved. Publisher does not support archiving of either the postprint (final, revised accepted draft) or published version of full text in institutional repositories.
- Peer reviewed