Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/55940
- The HI content of compact groups of galaxies
- Stevens, J. B.; Webster, R. L.; Barnes, D. G.; Pisano, D. J.; Drinkwater, M. J.
- The HI content of Hickson Compact Groups in the southern hemisphere is measured using data from the HI Parkes All-Sky Survey (HIPASS), and dedicated observations using the narrow band filter on the Multibeam instrument on the Parkes telescope. The expected HI mass of these groups was estimated using the luminosity, diameter, and morphological types of the member galaxies, calibrated from published data. Taking careful account of non-detection limits, the results show that the compact group population that has been detected by these observations has an HI content similar to that of galaxies in the reference field sample. The upper limits for the undetected groups lie within the normal range; improvement of these limits will require a large increase in sensitivity.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Publications of the Astronomical Society of Australia, Vol. 21, no. 3 (2004), pp. 318-333
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0201 Astronomical and Space Sciences
- Evolution; Galaxies; Interactions; Observational methods
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2004 Astronomical Society of Australia.
- Peer reviewed