Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Magnetic mirrors with micron-scale periodicities for slowly moving neutral atoms
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/57308
- Magnetic mirrors with micron-scale periodicities for slowly moving neutral atoms
- Lau, David C.; McLean, Russell J.; Sidorov, Andrei I.; Gough, David S.; Koperski, J.; Rowlands, W. J.; Sexton, Brett A.; Opat, Geoffrey I.; Hannaford, P.
- We report recent progress on the development of magnetic mirrors for reflecting beams of slowly moving neutral atoms. Different approaches for constructing periodic magnetic structures with micron-scale periodicities are described, including the use of arrays of current-carrying wires fabricated by photolithography, grooved ferromagnetic structures fabricated by electron-beam lithography, and magnetic structures recorded on magneto-optical film by a focused diode laser beam. Results on the reflection of free-falling laser-cooled caesium atoms from these microfabricated magnetic mirrors are presented.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Journal of Optics B: Quantum and Semiclassical Optics, Vol. 1, no. 4 (Aug 1999), pp. 371-377
- Publication year
- Atom optics; Atomic beams; Cesium; Electric wire; Ferromagnetic materials; Laser beams; Laser cooling; Magnetic films; Magnetic mirrors; Magnetooptical devices; Magnetooptical films; Particle optics; Photolithography; Semiconductor lasers
- Institute of Physics Publishing
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 1999 IOP Publishing Ltd.
- Peer reviewed