Home List of Titles Synthesis and characterization of polypyrrole-coated sulfur-rich latex particles: new synthetic mimics for sulfur-based micrometeorites
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/58214
- Synthesis and characterization of polypyrrole-coated sulfur-rich latex particles: new synthetic mimics for sulfur-based micrometeorites
- Fujii, Syuji; Armes, Steven P.; Jeans, Richard; Devonshire, Robin; Warren, Samantha; McArthur, Sally L.; Burchell, Mark J.; Postberg, Frank; Srama, Ralf
- Polypyrrole (PPy) has been deposited from aqueous solution onto submicrometer-sized sulfur-rich poly-[bis(4-vinylthiophenyl)sulfide] (PMPV) latex particles. The PMPV seed particles and resulting composite particles were extensively characterized using scanning electron microscopy, X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, FT-IR spectroscopy, helium pycnometry, Raman spectroscopy, and electrical conductivity measurements. Four-point probe measurements on pressed pellets indicate conductivities of around 6 x 10-5 S cm-1 for a polypyrrole loading of approximately 11.5%. This suggests a somewhat patchy, nonuniform polypyrrole overlayer, which is consistent with our Raman spectroscopy studies. Despite their relatively low conductivities, these polypyrrole-coated PMPV latexes can be accelerated up to hypervelocities (>20 km s-1) using a high voltage (2 MV) van de Graaf instrument. In view of their high sulfur contents (ca. 28%), these new electrically conductive latexes are expected to be interesting synthetic mimics for understanding the behavior of sulfur-based micrometeorites, whose existence has been postulated by planetary scientists investigating signs of volcanic activity on one of Jupiter's moons (Io).
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Chemistry of Materials, Vol. 18, no. 11 (Apr 2006), pp. 2758-2765
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0303 Macromolecular and Materials Chemistry
- Chemical synthesis; Coatings; Deposition; Electrically conductive latexes; Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy; Latex particles; Micrometers; Particle size analysis; PMPV; Polypyrroles; PPy; Raman spectroscopy; Sulfur-based micrometeorites; X ray photoelectron spectroscopy
- American Chemical Society
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2006 American Chemical Society. Publisher does not officially support author/institution self-archiving of either the post-print (final, revised accepted draft) and/or published version of full text.
- Peer reviewed