Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/58203
- Effect of polysaccharide structure on protein adsorption
- McArthur, Sally L.; McLean, Keith M.; Kingshott, Peter; St John, Heather A. W.; Chatelier, Ronald C.; Griesser, Hans J.
- Using X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy for quantification, the adsorption has been studied of chicken egg lysozyme, human serum albumin (HSA), bovine colostrum lactoferrin, and γ-globulin (IgG) from single solutions onto surface-immobilised polysaccharide coatings, which were produced by the covalent attachment of a series of carboxymethyldextrans (CMDs) onto aminated fluoropolymer surfaces. CMDs with differing degrees of carboxymethyl substitution were synthesized by the reaction of dextran with bromoacetic acid under different reactant ratios. Substantial amounts of protein adsorption onto these coatings were observed with the majority of the coating/protein combinations. On the most extensively substituted CMD (1 carboxyl group per 2 dextran units), lysozyme and lactoferrin adsorbed to approximately monolayer amounts whereas there was minimal adsorption of HSA, indicating the importance of electrostatic interfacial interactions. CMD 1:14 was similar whereas the least substituted, least dense coating, from CMD 1:30, adsorbed less lysozyme and lactoferrin but more HSA. Adsorption of the large multidomain protein IgG varied little with the coating. Grazing angle XPS data indicated that for the CMD 1:30 coating there occurred significant in-diffusion of the lower molecular weight proteins. The data suggest that elimination of adsorption of a broad spectrum of proteins is not straightforward with negatively charged polysaccharide coatings; elimination of protein accumulation onto/into such coatings may not be achievable solely with a balance of electrostatic and steric-entropic interfacial forces.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, Vol. 17, no. 1 (Jan 2000), pp. 37-48
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0306 Physical Chemistry (Incl. Structural)
- Absorption spectroscopy; Carbohydrate analysis; Carboxymethyldextran; Chemical modification; CMDs; HSA; Human serum albumin; Immunoglobulin; Lactoferrin; Lysozyme; Plasma polymer; Polysaccharide; Protein adsorption; Protein analysis; Surface modification; Surface properties; X ray photoelectron spectroscopy
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2000 Elsevier Science B.V. All rights reserved.
- Additional information
- This work was partially supported by the Commonwealth Government under the Co-operative Research Centres Scheme (Co-operative Research Centre for Eye Research and Technology), by Australian Postgraduate Research Awards and by the Ciba Vision Corporation (Atlanta, GA, USA).
- Peer reviewed