Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/58688
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 625 KB)|
- Magneto-hydrodynamic interaction in a vertical slot filled with ferrofluid
- Bozhko, A. A.; Suslov, Sergey A.; Putin, G. F.
- Convection flow in a vertical layer of ferrofluid heated from a side and subject to the transverse magnetic field is studied. A stability map is computed and compared with experimental flow visualizations. It is shown that the excitation of magneto-convection leads to the formation of vertically aligned rolls. The interaction of thermo-gravitational and thermo-magnetic motions results in roll and wave patterns of various spatial orientations. A new thermo-magnetic wave instability mechanism is found to exist for sufficiently large values of magnetic Grashof number.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Proceedings of the 7th PAMIR International Conference on Fundamental and Applied MHD (PAMIR 08), Presquile de Giens, France, 08-12 September 2008, pp. 709-713
- Publication year
- Cavities; Ferromagnetic materials; Fluid dynamics; Fluids
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2008. This work is reproduced in good faith. Every reasonable effort has been made to trace the copyright owner. For more information please contact email@example.com.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed