Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/59270
- Kinematics of brightest cluster galaxies in the 2DFGRS
- Mackie, Glen
- We have initiated a study of BCG peculiar velocities using the targeted study of catalogued clusters in the 2dFGRS by de Propris et al (2002). Our total sample includes 60 rich clusters (with cz < 33,000 km/s) with an average 70 member redshifts per cluster. Approximately 1 out of 3 clusters have BCG V_peculiar > 300 km/s. This result may suggest a substantial fraction of clusters are undergoing recent or ongoing cluster evolution (i.e. sub-cluster merging) at the sampled epoch, and has implications for the formation and evolution of BCGs. We shall discuss our result in relation to cluster properties (velocity dispersion, BM type, number of cluster member redshifts and presence of sub-structure). Reference: de Propris, R. et al. 2002, M.N.R.A.S., v.329, 87.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Information and Communication Technologies. Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing
- Paper presented at the IAU Symposium 216, Maps of the Cosmos, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 14-17 July 2003
- Publication year
- Cluster galaxies; Kinematics; Redshifts
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2004.
- Peer reviewed