Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Superfluid to Mott insulator quantum phase transition in a 2D permanent magnetic lattice
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/64733
- Superfluid to Mott insulator quantum phase transition in a 2D permanent magnetic lattice
- Ghanbari, Saeed; Blakie, P. B.; Hannaford, Peter; Kieu, Tien D.
- The accessibility of the critical parameters for the superfluid to Mott insulator quantum phase transition in a 2D permanent magnetic lattice is investigated. We determine the hopping matrix element J, the on-site interaction U, and hence the ratio J/U, in the harmonic oscillator wave function approximation. We show that for a range of realistic parameters the critical values of J/U, predicted by different methods for the Bose-Hubbard model in 2D, such as mean field theory and Monte Carlo simulations, are accessible in a 2D permanent magnetic lattice. The calculations are performed for a 2D permanent magnetic lattice created by two crossed arrays of parallel rectangular magnets plus a bias magnetic field.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Engineering and Industrial Sciences. Centre for Atom Optics and Ultrafast Spectroscopy
- European Physical Journal B, Vol. 70, no. 3 (Aug 2009), pp. 305-310
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0204 Condensed Matter Physics; 0299 Other Physical Sciences
- 2D; Magnetic lattices; Mott insulator quantum phase transition; Oscillator wave function
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © EDP Sciences, Societ`a Italiana di Fisica, Springer-Verlag 2009.
- Peer reviewed