Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/70825
- Kinetics of a catalyzed semi-batch ethoxylation of nonylphenol
- Chiu, Y. N.; Naser, J.; Easton, A.; Ngian, K. F.; Pratt, K. C.
- A combined experiments and mathematical modelling were carried out to study the kinetics of nonylphenol ethoxylation. Experiments were carried out in a well-stirred reactor used in an industrial research laboratory. The governing equations of the kinetic model were solved using Mathematica. Results were validated against published kinetic data. The experiments and kinetics modelling were extended to account the presence of nitrogen in the vapour phase for a potassium hydroxide catalyzed ethoxylation of nonylphenol in a well-stirred reactor. The modelling results were successfully validated against the experimental data. This model has been successfully used for optimizing the productivity of the existing alkoxylation reactors and can be used as a tool for the exploration and design of innovative new reactor systems.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology
- Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 65, no. 3 (Feb 2010), pp. 1167-1172
- Publication year
- Ethoxylation; Kinetics; Mixing; Nonylphenol; Reactive flow
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2009 Elsevier.
- Peer reviewed