Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Acute dopamine and/or serotonin depletion does not modulate mismatch negativity (MMN) in healthy human participants
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/73385
- Acute dopamine and/or serotonin depletion does not modulate mismatch negativity (MMN) in healthy human participants
- Leung, Sumie; Croft, Rodney J.; Guille, Valerie; Scholes, Kirsty; O'Neill, Barry V.; Phan, K. Luan; Nathan, Pradeep J.
- Rationale: Schizophrenia is commonly associated with impairments in pre-attentive change detection, as represented by reduced mismatch negativity (MMN). While the neurochemical basis of MMN has been linked to N-methyl-d-aspartic acid (NMDA) receptor function, the roles of the dopaminergic and/or the serotonergic systems are not fully explored in humans. Objectives: The aim of the present study was to investigate the effects of acutely depleting dopamine (DA) and serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine, 5-HT) alone or simultaneously by depleting their amino acid precursors on MMN in healthy participants. Methods: Sixteen healthy male subjects participated in a double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over design in which each subject's duration MMN was assessed under four acute treatment conditions separated by a 5-day washout period: balanced amino acid control (no depletion), tyrosine/phenylalanine depletion (to reduce DA neurotransmission), tryptophan depletion (to reduce 5-HT neurotransmission) and tryptophan/tyrosine/phenylalanine depletion (to reduce DA and 5-HT neurotransmission simultaneously). Results: Acute depletion of either DA and 5-HT alone or simultaneously had no effect on MMN. Conclusions: These findings suggest that modulation of the dopaminergic and serotonergic systems acutely does not lead to changes in MMN.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Life and Social Sciences. Brain Sciences Institute
- Psychopharmacology, Vol. 208, no. 2 (Feb 2010), pp. 233-244
- Publication year
- Change detection; Cognition; Dopamine; Mismatch negativity; MMN; Monoamine; Schizophrenia; Serotonin; Tryptophan depletion; Tyrosine depletion
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © Springer-Verlag 2009.
- Peer reviewed