Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Characterizing the low-mass molecular component in the northern Small Magellanic Cloud
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/80898
- Characterizing the low-mass molecular component in the northern Small Magellanic Cloud
- Muller, E.; Ott, J.; Hughes, A.; Pineda, J. L.; Wong, T.; Mizuno, N.; Kawamura, A.; Mizuno, Y.; Fukui, Y.; Onishi, T.; Rubio, M.
- We present here the first results from a high-resolution survey of the (CO)-C-12(J = 1-0) emission across the northern part of the poorly enriched Small Magellanic Cloud (SMC), made with the ATNF Mopra telescope. Three molecular complexes detected in the lower resolution NANTEN survey are mapped with a beam FWHM of similar to 42 '', to sensitivities of approximately 210 mK per 0.9 km s(-1) channel, resolving each complex into 4-7 small clouds of masses in the range of M-vir similar to 10(3)-10(4) M-circle dot and with radii no larger than 16 pc. The northern SMC CO clouds follow similar empirical relationships to the southern SMC population, yet they appear relatively under-luminous for their size, suggesting that the star-forming environment in the SMC is not homogeneous. Our data also suggests that the CO cloud population has little or no extended CO envelope on scales greater than or similar to 30 pc, further evidence that the weak CO component in the north SMC is being disassociated by penetrating UV radiation. The new high-resolution data provide evidence for a variable correlation of the CO integrated brightness with integrated H I and 160 mu m emission; in particular CO is often, but not always, found coincident with peaks of 160 mu m emission, verifying the need for matching-resolution 160 mu m and H I data for a complete assessment of the SMC H-2 mass.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Information and Communication Technologies. Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing
- Astrophysical Journal, Vol. 712, no. 2 (Apr 2010), pp. 1248-1258
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0201 Astronomical and Space Sciences
- Dwarf galaxies; Evolution; ISM; Magellanic clouds; Molecular clouds; Radio lines; Stars
- Institute of Physics Publishing
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2010 The American Astronomical Society. All rights reserved.
- Peer reviewed