Home List of Titles Influence of spray parameters on the microstructure and mechanical properties of gas-tunnel plasma sprayed hydroxyapatite coatings
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/81084
- Influence of spray parameters on the microstructure and mechanical properties of gas-tunnel plasma sprayed hydroxyapatite coatings
- Morks, M. F.; Kobayashi, Akira
- For biomedical applications, hydroxyapatite (HA) coatings were deposited on 304 stainless steel substrate by using a gas tunnel type plasma spraying process. The influences of spraying distances and plasma arc currents on the microstructure, hardness and adhesion properties of HA coatings were investigated. Microstructure observation by SEM showed that HA coatings sprayed at low plasma power have a porous structure and poor hardness. HA coatings sprayed at high plasma power and short spraying distance are characterized by good adhesion and low porosity with dense structure. Hardness increased for HA coatings sprayed at shorter spraying distance and higher plasma power, mainly due to the formation of dense coatings.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Materials Science and Engineering B, Vol. 139, no. 2-3 (May 2007), pp. 209-215
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 02 Physical Sciences; 03 Chemical Sciences; 09 Engineering
- Adhesion; Arc current; Gas tunnel plasma spraying; Hardness; Hydroxyapatite; Microstructure; Spraying distance; Medical applications; Plasma spraying; Porosity; Stainless steel; Arc currents; Coatings
- Elsevier S.A.
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2007 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
- Peer reviewed