Home List of Titles Dynamic control of the photonic stop bands formed by a standing wave in inhomogeneous broadening solids
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/81196
- Dynamic control of the photonic stop bands formed by a standing wave in inhomogeneous broadening solids
- He, Qiong-Yi; Wu, Jin-Hui; Wang, Tie-Jun; Gao, Jin-Yue
- When a three-level system is coherently driven by a strong modified standing wave, photonic band gaps are viable to realize. Theoretically detailed calculations, for Pr3+-doped yttrium orthosilicate crystal with inhomogeneously broadening, further show that the gap structure can be dynamically controlled and optimized by modulating the Rabi frequency, the spatial periodicity of the standing wave, the reflectivity of mirror, and the angle of incidence. This adjustable photonic band gap determined by the external pump control parameters in a doped solid crystal should hold more potential for applications than that in typical photonic crystals which are determined once for all by the way the material periodic structure is grown.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Physical Review A: Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics, Vol. 73, no. 5 (May 2006), article no. 053813
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0202 Atomic, Molecular, Nuclear, Particle and Plasma Physics; 0204 Condensed Matter Physics; 0205 Optical Physics
- Photonic band gap; Photonic crystals; Praseodymium; Self-induced transparency; Yttrium compounds
- American Physical Society
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2006 The American Physical Society.
- Peer reviewed