Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/81203
- Slow light by coherent hole burnings
- He, Qiong-Yi; Zhang, Bing; Wei, Xiao-Gang; Wu, Jin-Hui; Kuang, Shang-Qi; Gao, Jin-Yue
- We show that the simultaneous application of a copropagating saturating pump and a counterpropagating coherent beam can be used to burn a narrow spectral hole within the absorption line of the optical transition in a Doppler-broadened medium. The large index of refraction of this hole slows down a light pulse by a factor of about 104. In addition, we propose a method to create two-color slow light pulses with simultaneous gain by employing a bichromatic field to saturate the medium.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Physical Review A: Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics, Vol. 77, no. 6 (Jun 2008), article no. 063827
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0202 Atomic, Molecular, Nuclear, Particle and Plasma Physics; 0204 Condensed Matter Physics; 0205 Optical Physics
- Laser beams; Laser transitions; Light coherence; Optical hole burning; Optical pumping; Optical saturable absorption; Refractive index
- American Physical Society
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2008 The American Physical Society.
- Peer reviewed