Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/81220
- Youth media
- Rennie, Ellie
- The youth media sphere encompasses a wide range of media and creative practices, directed at young people for their benefit, or run by young people as autonomous community-based enterprises. Young people do not necessarily have anything in common with each other apart from age, making youth media an infinitely varied field. 'Youth' is a politically fraught concept, used to reinforce intergenerational differences and tensions. Some youth media projects buy into the politicised field of 'youth', while others actively seek to reclaim youth identities. Youth media has therefore become a distinct yet divided field of alternative media, which has been examined and theorised in its own right.
- Publication type
- Reference entry
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology
- Encyclopedia of social movement media / John D. H. Downing (ed.), pp. 552-555
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 200104 Media Studies
- Alternative media; Case studies; Digital media technologies; Identity; Social movements; Young people; Youth media
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2011 by SAGE Publications, Inc. All rights reserved.