Home List of Titles Surface-texturing of sapphire by femtosecond laser pulses for photonic applications
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/81299
- Surface-texturing of sapphire by femtosecond laser pulses for photonic applications
- Kudrius, Tadas; Slekys, Gintas; Juodkazis, Saulius
- We demonstrate that F+ centres (oxygen vacancy with a trapped electron) are induced by femtosecond laser scribing of a crystalline Al2O3 wafer and that they can be fully annealed at 1100 degrees C. The corresponding photoluminescence band at 325 nm which is induced by the femto second laser structuring of a sapphire surface is extinct after heat treatment. Thermal activation of oxygen diffusion in sapphire can explain the observation. The potential of pre-textured sapphire in lighting and micro-optical applications is discussed.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Engineering and Industrial Sciences. Centre for Micro-Photonics
- Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 43, no. 14 (Apr 2010)
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 02 Physical Sciences; 09 Engineering
- Femtosecond laser pulses; Oxygen vacancies; Photonics; Sapphire; Thermally activated diffusion
- Institute of Physics Publishing
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2010 IOP Publishing Ltd.
- Research Projects
- Additional information
- The authors are grateful to Tecdia Co., Ltd for sample thinning.
- Peer reviewed