Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Collective modes and ballistic expansion of a fermi gas in the BCS-BEC crossover
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/81622
|Download PDF (Accepted manuscript) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, -1 bytes)|
- Collective modes and ballistic expansion of a fermi gas in the BCS-BEC crossover
- Hu, Hui; Minguzzi, A.; Liu, Xia-Ji; Tosi, M. P.
- We evaluate the frequencies of collective modes and the anisotropic expansion rate of a harmonically trapped Fermi superfluid at varying coupling strengths across a Feshbach resonance driving a BCS-BEC crossover. The equations of motion for the superfluid are obtained from a microscopic mean-field expression for the compressibility and are solved within a scaling ansatz. Our results confirm nonmonotonic behavior in the crossover region and are in quantitative agreement with current measurements of the transverse breathing mode by Kinast et al. [Phys. Rev. Lett. 92, 150402 (2004)] and of the axial breathing mode by Bartenstein et al. [Phys. Rev. Lett. 92, 203201 (2004)].
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Physical Review Letters, Vol. 93, no. 19 (Nov 2004), article no. 190403
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 01 Mathematical Sciences; 02 Physical Sciences; 09 Engineering
- Approximation theory; Ballistic expansion; Bardeen-Cooper-Schrieffer superfluid; BEC-BCS crossovers; Bose-Einstein condensation; Collective modes; Compressibility; Equations of motion; Fermi gases; Fermi level; Gases; Hydrodynamics; LDA; Local density approximation; Natural frequencies; Parameter estimation; Resonance
- American Physical Society
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2004 The American Physical Society. The accepted manuscript of the paper is reproduced here for noncommerical purposes only in accordance with the copyright policy of the publisher.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed