Home List of Titles Blind bolted T-stub connections to unfilled hollow section columns in low rise structures
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/84025
- Blind bolted T-stub connections to unfilled hollow section columns in low rise structures
- Lee, J.; Goldsworthy, H. M.; Gad, E. F.
- This paper presents the results of an experimental program investigating blind bolted T-stub connections to unfilled hollow section columns in the tension and compression regions under static loading. The T-stub connection is proposed as an alternative connection to the welded connection currently used as a moment connection for unfilled hollow section columns in the Australian construction industry. The flexural performance of the T-stub connection, in terms of stiffness, has been evaluated in accordance with EC3 classifications and was found to behave as a semi rigid connection under serviceability loading. Results from the experiments have been compared with existing theoretical models that predict the maximum load the flexible column face can carry in the tension region before yielding occurs, and good agreement has been achieved. Furthermore, the experimental results have been used to validate a detailed three dimensional finite element (FE) model which simulates the proposed connection. The developed FE model in turn has been used to perform a sensitivity analysis which is presented in this paper.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Engineering and Industrial Sciences
- Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Vol. 66, no. 8-9 (Aug-Sep 2010), pp. 981-992
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0905 Civil Engineering
- Blind bolts; Finite element modelling; Hollow section columns; Semi-rigid connections; T-stubs
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2010 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Research Projects
- Peer reviewed